Author Topic: Planning a Visit to Hand Tool Group  (Read 1087 times)

Offline louheerten

• Beginner
    • View Profile
Planning a Visit to Hand Tool Group
« on: August 16, 2017, 02:50:57 PM »
Hand tool group,
Please reply to let me know what to expect this Thursday, August 17.

Should I have a project to work on?
Does the group work together on a particular project?
Do I need to bring tools of my own?

Thanks in advance.
Buddy

Offline TerrenceJames

• Beginner
    • View Profile
Re: Planning a Visit to Hand Tool Group
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 04:04:46 PM »
This is a very late reply to the post, but for others who may have the same question, the Hand Tool Workshop is not a class, per se. You can come when you want and stay as long as you like. Its not necessary to come every week, but you'll want to. If you have a project to work on, bring it and we can help as much as you might need. If you just want to come visit, you are most welcome to do so.

Typically, a new member of the group will just hang out the first couple of times they come. We will pair you up with people based on your interests and experience. But we can teach you hand tool basics, tool restoration, sharpening techniques, project planning and how to read wood grain, etc. If you have tools, bring them. But if you don't we generally have most of what you may need and you can use ours. If you have a project in mind, we can help you get started. If not, we have a number of projects that are fun and useful. Build a tool tote, or a shooting board, or a bench hook.

I have been a woodworker my whole life, but in the two years I have been coming to this workshop I have learned more than the rest of my life put together. Its a fun group and very welcoming of new members. I will never be a 100% hand tool woodworker although there are members who are. But learning the old-school methods and tools will make you a better woodworker regardless of how much you may use power tools. I am warning you: it's addictive...

« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 11:15:37 AM by TerrenceJames »