• Welcome to Alabama Woodworkers Guild. Please login or sign up.

December 07, 2021, 01:11:45 am

News:

Welcome to the AWG forum!

How to download a free version of SketchUp Make 2017

Started by jeffbranch, March 17, 2018, 06:58:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffbranch

March 17, 2018, 06:58:23 am Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 07:06:58 am by JeffBranch
The new web based SketchUp version is the free edition of the SketchUp software. SketchUp Make 2017 is the older free version which can be downloaded onto your computer. SketchUp Make 2017 has many of the features found in SketchUp Pro and is (currently) more functional than SketchUp Free. To download SketchUp Make 2017, see the link below...

https://www.sketchup.com/download/all

vankirkg

Jeff,
I attended the SketchUp meeting last Saturday and am really excited about adding this capability!  I downloaded the 2017 version and am watching the SketchUp tutorials on the SketchUp YouTube channel.  They're good enough at the moment.  The free SketchUp version I have is actually a 30-day trial so I have 29 days left to produce some product for a job I'm doing.  It's a master bedroom closet system.  I'm finding a lot of YouTubes along the same line I'm pursuing.

I spoke with Dave Erickson about the Guild rate for SketchUp licenses (at $41 I think?).  Dave mentioned getting hold of you about that.  I'd sure like to have one of those licenses before I run out of free trial.

Any suggestions?

Thx.  George Van Kirk

vankirkg

After using Sketchup Pro for 30 days and making LOTS of model files, my Pro version 30-day trial ran out in the middle of some critical work.  I just spent 2 hours trying to continue in Sketchup Make after an uninstall of Pro and download/install of Make.  So here's some tips on the process.  First, Pro DOES NOT revert to Make automatically!  Not even close.  Second, after an uninstall of Pro and a loading of Make 2017, here is the MOST IMPORTANT step of the process.  Go read this Sketchup Community forum page, https://forums.sketchup.com/t/sketchup-make-2015-and-imaging-computers-in-a-school/5402.  Buried down in the page is the operation whereby you change and save the Sketchup.lic file using Notepad and then launch Sketchup.  Then, and than the Pro license page you'll be taken to the Sketchup Make page!   

So I'm back in business with Make and looking forward to getting back on Pro when the Guild gets us a another round of the $41 licenses.

Hope this helps some poor soul save a couple hours of toil....

psmith

Thanks for the info!  Just bought a new laptop this week for the main purpose of downloading and installing Sketch-Up.
Any idea when the Guide might offer Sketch-Up Pro again?

vankirkg

Word is we'll talk about the $41 licenses at the Saturday 0800 meeting.  Please be there along with anyone else you know who is interested.  I know one other person, so that's four of us.  They're looking for a count, so I'm sure it will be at least another month till the licenses for Pro are available.

Meanwhile, I'm using Sketchup Make successfully with no problems opening files made in Sketchup Pro.  Only thing I notice is that some of the tools, ones I don't need, are grayed out.  Also, the Warehouse is probably lacking which I will need soon.

g.

jeffbranch

Thanks for the instructions on this. I have gone through this process of converting a pro version to Make, I would not have been able to remember the steps.

vankirkg

Hey folks!  The URL for the $41 license is https://wp.awwg.info/sketchup/.  I wrote down aawg.info/sketchup.  I probably heard it wrong.  I tried it and it works.   Looks like just an extension to the Guild URL.